爱上海,上海419论坛,上海龙凤419 – Powered by Brooklynn Wilbert!

Miami forum discusses public funding of judicial campaigns

Posted on by

first_img Miami forum discusses public funding of judicial campaigns Miami forum discusses public funding of judicial campaigns May 15, 2002 Regular Newscenter_img The idea of public financing of judicial campaigns is gaining momentum nationwide as well as in Florida, according to Edith Osman of Miami, a former president of The Florida Bar and a member of the ABA Standing Committee on Judicial Independence.“It is incumbent on the legal profession to find ways to better the current system of judicial selection,” Osman said. “Although Florida voters last year rejected merit retention for trial judges, a great many people think the time is ripe to re-evaluate judicial selection because so many people are uncomfortable with current methods of financing judicial campaigns.”Two leaders of the ABA’s effort to enhance judicial independence, D. Dudley Oldham of Houston and Edward Madeira, Jr., of Philadelphia, met with Florida and Dade bar leaders recently to discuss judicial qualifications and public financing of judicial campaigns.“The American Bar Association is providing a variety of solutions to problems that plague judicial selection and threaten the independence of the judiciary,” said Oldham, chair of the ABA Standing Committee on Judicial Independence.“Public financing of judicial campaigns is another option recently recommended by the ABA. It is important to remember that regardless of the selection method used in individual states, Americans want fair and impartial judges. Respect for the rule of law is what sets our country apart and makes our system of government an example for all.”He said that North Carolina, Wisconsin, Texas, and several other states are giving serious consideration to public financing proposals.Miami bar leaders, even those on opposite sides of the merit selection issue when it appeared on the ballot in the November 2000 election, expressed support for public financing of judicial campaigns. They said judges should be removed from a process that requires them to raise large amounts of campaign money, and one proponent said public financing of judicial campaigns in Dade County would cost only $1.5 million, according to Oldham.Stephen Zack, a Miami lawyer who serves as chair of the ABA Standing Committee on Bar Activities and Services, told the gathering that it would be “fabulous” if public financing could be enacted for $1.5 million, but he said perhaps the cost would be higher.Proponents said they hoped Florida legislators would approve a “local option” on public financing allowing each county to decide whether to finance judicial campaigns with public money.Madeira, chair of the ABA Commission on State Judicial Selection Standards, said people across America are concerned about the qualifications of judges, and that proposed judicial eligibility panel could evaluate judicial candidates’ qualifications.“The standards adopted by the ABA are intended to be consistent with merit-based selection of judges, and in states such as Florida, where the voters have chosen to continue electing trial court judges, the standards can be used as a basis to improve public confidence that qualified judges are being elected,” Madeira said.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , .

U-17 AFCON WAFU Qualifier: Eaglets, Starlets Rekindle Nigeria-Ghana Rivalry

Posted on by

first_imgThe atmosphere will be further charged by a 67-year rivalry between both nations, with crucial wins for either country over the decades. But the Eaglets are encouraged that Ghana’s semi-final victims Cote d’Ivoire, suffered a 5-1 hiding when both teams met at the same venue last week.Nigeria would be further buoyed by the maturity that comes with a plurality of experience, having come from a shaky start to the tournament to reach the final battle. They fell behind 0-2 to Burkina Faso in their opening match before drawing level, only to lose the tie by conceding late in the game. Against the Ivorians, they fired from all cylinders from the beginning and led 5-0, and against Niger Republic on Wednesday, created a hatful of chances and led 2-0 before conceding a late consolation to the hosts.Meanwhile, President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has charged the Golden Eaglets to keep level heads and stay focused in order to conquer Ghana’s Black Starlets and qualify for the finals of the 2019 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations.Pinnick, who is also 1st Vice President of the Confederation of African Football, is in no doubt that the Nigerian boys possess the quality to defeat the Black Starlets and also do the nation proud at the final tournament in Tanzania.“First, I want to congratulate you on a job well done so far; you have done very well including exhibiting the never-say-die spirit that is peculiar to Nigerians. This was visible in the manner you bounced back after the loss to the Burkinabes to dismiss the Ivorians 5-1, and also beat the host nation in the semi finals. “But I want you to know that the job is not done yet. You must stay focused and listen to your coaches. I believe in their leadership because they are very knowledgeable and experienced and have discovered so many talented players that have excelled in recent years,” Pinnick said.Speaking further, the NFF supremo advised the young lads to avoid distractions from agents, who according to him, will deceive and hurry them into signing for clubs that would not aid their proper development.“The youth tournaments are basically developmental, so you have to follow instructions from your coaches and don’t allow agents to deceive you and make you sign for clubs in obscure countries. Players like Nwankwo Kanu and Mikel John Obi, just to mention two, started properly and so were properly developed to stay longer in the game.”Pinnick then promised to take the team for a training tour in either Qatar or Jordan ahead of the U-17 AFCON in Tanzania to further help their development, once they qualify.Five players from the NFF U-15 squad discovered during the annual NFF/Zenith Bank Future Eagles Championship, are part of the current squad tutored by Manu Garba.Responding on behalf of the team, goalkeeper Joseph Oluwabusola thanked the Nigeria Football Federation for the support so far and promised that they will make Nigeria proud on Saturday by defeating the Black Starlets to qualify for the U-17 Africa Cup of Nations in Tanzania.However, the Black Starlets have been handed a massive boost ahead of the encounter as defender Abdul Samed declares himself fit for the clash. Samed’s arm was heavily strapped after Ghana’s epic 2-1 win over Ivory Coast in the first semi-final clash on Wednesday.The Dreams FC defender has played every single minute of Ghana’s campaign at the tournament being staged in Niger to emphasise his importance to the side.Losing him ahead of the final match against rivals Nigeria was bound to deal a heavy blow to coach Karim Zito’s team, but the left-back says he is well enough to play.“I felt some pains in my arm but this morning the pain is no more. I think if it continues like this, I will be ready to play in the final,” he told FootballmadeinGhana.com.The winner of the final match will qualify to play at next year’s Africa U-17 Championship to be hosted by Tanzania.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram By Kunle AdewaleThe football rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana will again be rekindled as the Golden Eaglets take on the Black Starlets in the final of the U-17 Africa Cup of Nations WAFU qualification this evening at the Stade General Seyni Kountche, Niamey.Both West African giants of world cadet football clash in the final of the CAF U-17 Cup of Nations WAFU B Tournament with the lone ticket to the Africa U-17 Cup of Nations Tanzania 2019 to serve as the spur for an explosive encounter.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , .

Kenyon Martin Jr. says he’ll skip college basketball at Vanderbilt to turn pro

Posted on by

first_imgKenyon Martin Jr., the son of longtime NBA player and University of Cincinnati star Kenyon Martin, will skip playing college basketball at Vanderbilt to pursue options at the professional level, he told 247Sports on Wednesday. He becomes the second national recruit in as many weeks to opt for professional basketball over college. RJ Hampton last week signed a deal with a pro team based in New Zealand that plays in Australia’s National Basketball League rather than playing collegiately at his choice of top Division I programs. Hampton’s decision to skip college influenced Martin, unidentified sources told ESPN, though Hampton is rated a five-star prospect and projected first-round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.In contrast, Martin, a 6-6, 195-pound power forward, is rated a three-star prospect and ranked 47th nationally at his position, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings, and far from being ready to play in the NBA, as his father did for 15 seasons. Kenyon Martin was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 NBA Draft after a stellar career at Cincinnati capped by being named national player of the year in 2000. Related News NCAA 3-point line moving back to international distance Martin committed on May 5 to Vanderbilt, where he was expected to join high school and Nike EYBL teammate Scotty Pippen, also a son of a former NBA player, Hall of Fame inductee Scottie Pippen.center_img Former USC basketball assistant avoids prison in recruiting corruption case Martin averaged 16.7 points and 9.8 rebounds his senior season for Sierra Canyon High School in Chatsworth, California.He was to arrive this week at Vanderbilt, along with Pippen, as part of new Commodores coach and former NBA player Jerry Stackhouse’s first recruiting class. Instead, Martin informed the Vandy staff of his decision, an unidentified source told 247Sports, which added that Martin said he had yet to sign a professional deal.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .