爱上海,上海419论坛,上海龙凤419 – Powered by Brooklynn Wilbert!

‘White Robin’ Peaches

Posted on by

first_img It may be three or four years before you see White Robin peaches at your favorite market, though. Krewer said it takes that long for the new trees to begin bearing fruit in large quantities. Anyone who wants the new trees for commercial or home orchards should order soon. “The Tennessee nurseries that bud and raise the trees don’t have spare trees,” Krewer said. “They bud for the orders they have. So it’s important to order ahead.” Its name sounds like an exotic bird. And “White Robin,” a newly released peach variety, could become a sign of spring in south Georgia, said a University of Georgia scientist. “This new variety is perfect for south Georgia peach orchards,” said Gerard Krewer, an Extension Service horticulturist with the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.UGA, the University of Florida and the U.S. Department of Agriculture jointly named and released the new variety. It was developed at the Attapulgus Research Farm, near the Florida state line in Georgia. Download the .TIF file Krewer said White Robin is a white-fleshed, semifreestone peach with good size (about 2 3/8 inches diameter) and a nice red skin.”This peach has a sweet flavor that’s a little different from yellow peaches,” he said. “It’s hard to describe its exact flavor, but it’s very tasty.” Two of White Robin’s best features are its relatively low chilling requirement and its firmness. Krewer said those features make it an ideal variety for south Georgia and north Florida home or commercial orchards.center_img Download the .TIF file. “White Robin needs only 500 chilling hours (below 45 degrees) to produce a good crop,” he said. “Some of our midstate-grown varieties need 800 or more hours. We often don’t get that many chill hours in south Georgia.” Its firmness is a plus for commercial growers, making White Robin a good shipping peach. Krewer said growers can ship White Robin with little bruising before it gets to mid-Atlantic Coast destinations. Another plus is its early-season ripeness — usually sometime in May. Krewer said this gets Georgia peaches to markets before other white peaches grown farther north. That helps Georgia farmers capture the best prices for their fruit. Tom Beckman, a USDA fruit researcher in Byron, Ga., said White Robin fills a niche in the peach season. “This peach comes in at a time when no other white-fleshed peaches are available,” he said. “It’s really a specialty peach.” Beckman hopes to see growers keep the fruit close to home. Like many other fruits, White Robin is best when tree-ripened. But long shipping distances force growers to pick before the fruit is really ripe. “If growers keep the fruit close, say their local farmers’ market or specialty grocery store, they can leave it on the tree longer,” he said. “That results in riper, and sweeter, peaches.” White Robin peaches were developed mainly for fresh markets. “They’ve got a different flavor than yellow-flesh peaches,” Beckman said. “Krewer and I have tried to describe them, but you just have to taste them to understand.”last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , .

United impress in Real victory

Posted on by

first_img It took Carlo Ancelotti’s team just six minutes to equalise though. Michael Keane, making his first start of the tour, clambered all over Bale’s back and the Welshman went to ground to earn a penalty. The former Tottenham winger converted the spot-kick to David de Gea’s left. Bale tested De Gea with an overhead kick, but United remained on top and they deservedly regained the lead nine minutes from half-time. Young cut in from the left and floated a ball to the back post. Rooney missed as he jumped for the header, but his body movement was enough to wrong-foot Casillas and the ball sailed in at the far post. Welbeck suffered an injury and came off for Wilfried Zaha just before the break. Van Gaal made three substitutions at half-time, and another three on the hour. With Rooney, Ander Herrera and Juan Mata off the pitch, United were nowhere near as strong. Bale struck a post with a dipping free-kick. Madrid fans called for Ronaldo’s introduction, yelling his name as he warmed up on the touchline. Then, with 17 minutes left, the decibel levels rocketed inside the Michigan Stadium as Ronaldo replaced Alvaro Arbeloa. The Portuguese wowed the crowds with a couple of neat step-overs, but he could not swing the match in Real’s favour. Hernandez put the result beyond any doubt when he nodded in Shinji Kagawa’s pin-point pass from close range in the 80th minute. A US record crowd of 109,318 watched United’s new manager rack up his fourth win of the summer thanks to two goals from Ashley Young and another from substitute Javier Hernandez. Even the second-half introduction of former United star Cristiano Ronaldo could not help an out of sorts Madrid, whose only goal came courtesy of Gareth Bale’s penalty. Van Gaal, who has recorded wins over the Los Angles Galaxy, Roma and Inter Milan in the US, will now take his squad to Florida for the final of the International Champions Cup. There, Van Gaal will get his first taste of United’s bitter rivalry with Liverpool, who qualified for the final after Manchester City lost 5-4 on penalties to Olympiacos following a 2-2 draw in Minneapolis. Real Madrid’s starting XI did not include Ronaldo, and new signings Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez, but there were still plenty of stars on show in white. The likes of Bale, Luka Modric and Xabi Alonso were second best in the opening half though as United dominated from the off. Darren Fletcher in particular impressed early on. The Scot dictated play from deep, spraying passes across the vast surface in Ann Arbor. United’s captain for the night flashed a shot wide from 20 yards after 13 minutes and soon after he played a big part in the brilliant first goal. The midfielder played the ball into Wayne Rooney, who returned it with a deft backheel. Fletcher then squared to Danny Welbeck, who teed up Young and he drilled the ball past Iker Casillas at his near post. The final move, and the 20-plus passes that preceded it, made the goal very pleasing on the eye. Louis van Gaal claimed his biggest scalp of pre-season as Manchester United beat European champions Real Madrid to set up a Miami meeting with Liverpool. Press Associationlast_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , .

NASCAR race weather: Will rain in forecast delay the Pocono race?

Posted on by

first_imgMORE: TV schedule, live stream for Pocono raceShould the NASCAR race at Pocono be postponed to Monday, the forecast is great; a zero percent chance of precipitation all day with sunny-to-partly cloudy skies.William Byron will start on pole for the third time this season in Sunday’s race at Pocono. Kyle Busch and Clint Bowyer qualified second and third, respectively. The full starting lineup can be found here. MORE: Watch the Pocono 400 live with fuboTV (7-day trial)The start time for Sunday’s race was scheduled for 2 p.m. ET, which happens to be the time isolated thunderstorms were forecasted to impact Pocono, according to weather.com. There was only a 35 percent chance of precipitation at 2 p.m. ET. However, that chance jumped to 75 percent at 3 p.m. ET, with thunderstorms being forecasted in the Pocono area until roughly 9 p.m. ET.According to AccuWeather, the forecasted storms “could move into the area right around or shortly after the race’s scheduled start time of 2 p.m. ET. Any storm that wanders over the track will not only bring lightning dangers and a delay to the race, but also torrential downpours and the threat of damaging winds.”Pocono Raceway does not have lights.Fox Sports’ Bob Pockrass suggested Sunday the race would need to start by 5 p.m. ET in order for it to be completed before dark. The track takes roughly two hours to dry.Pocono weather radar:Brian Neudorff, who provides weather forecasts for all NASCAR races, put the odds of racing on Sunday at 70 percent.”For a complete distance the odds are maybe closer to 50 percent,” Neudorff wrote. “As for an official race (past stage 2) then we are about 65 to 70 percent. As for a wash and into Monday I think the odds right now are around 30 percent.” The chances the Pocono 400 at Pocono Raceway will be put under a rain delay at some point Sunday, as a product of the storm systems moving through the Long Pond, Pa., area Sunday afternoon, depend on the source of the forecast. At the very least, rain will be a threat for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono.The weather threatening Sunday’s race at Pocono, though, could be more than just rain. Strong, dangerous storms were forecasted for the area, scattered throughout the afternoon and into the evening hours.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .